Monday, August 13, 2007

thank you

i wanted to set this out as a separate post from the race report, particularly since that post grew to be so long.

i am so lucky to have the people that are in my life. they were unbelievably supportive leading up to and during the race.

heath was there pretty much daily, especially in the last two months. at times, i struggled with self-doubt and worry about being able to do this race, and i can be pretty bull-headed, so putting up with me in those funks was no small task. i appreciate his patience as i worked to handle what i was facing. he was definitely the tough-love guy when i needed it, and yeah, i needed it at times. he was there for everything i needed (which included a lot of carrying things around) and never complained about any of it.

my parents and sister and ron were saved from having to deal with that as much, and were able to just be amazing supporters. i know how proud they are of me for this, and it meant so much to me that they got up so early to drive down for the race. all of them (and lucy), along with heath did a lot of sitting around that day. i was out on the course for long stretches, and it must've been fairly boring for them at times, but they didn't seem to mind at all. it meant the world to me to have them all at the finish line and after the race with me.

my extended family also sent words of encouragement. my aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents wrote little notes to me (along with a few sketches) to wish me luck in my race. knowing that they were thinking of me from afar was really something amazing. i got a couple of congratulatory cards from grandparents after the race, too.

i had so many friends and family donate money to the leukemia and lymphoma society on my behalf. their donations are going to a great cause, and i'm so grateful that i was able to make my goal so quickly with their support!

i write this thank you in specific reference to the triathlon, but in actuality, this support is always there, and always has been. whatever i've faced or accomplished, my family and loved ones have been there to support and congratulate me. of course they are proud of me for this big accomplishment, but they have always been proud of me, for anything i've done, small or big. it gives one tremendous strength to know that they have that love and support.

so, thanks for everything, always. i know i tend to take it for granted because it's always been there, but when i step back and look at what an interested, involved, supportive family i have, i realize that it is quite rare, and that i'm really truly lucky.