Monday, December 15, 2008

a thick icy coating

so yesterday was downright balmy. but windy. then rainy. and today is FREEZING. so last night's rain + today's frigid temps = an icy coating on EVERYTHING. including my car. my car doors were frozen shut one day last week (grrrr), and i knew they would be again today. so i brought my cup of warmish water to pour along the top of the door. (how i long for a garage!) hooray! it worked and i was able to get the car started while i chipped away at the 1/4 - 1/2 inch of ice on my windshield. there has to be a better way...

so this morning when i got to work safe and sound (thank goodness - there were a number of accidents and close calls on the way), i saw this blog post on the simple dollar with frugal ways to beat (or at least deal with) the snow and ice. i'm definitely going to get a squirt bottle and do the alcohol + water + soap spray for my windshield. it will surely save me lots of time and labor on these icy mornings.

now, if only there were a way to warp heath work so he didn't have to walk and stand in these temperatures waiting for the train! definitely check out the post -- it has some really good (and cheap) ideas!