Monday, April 13, 2009

Busy Weekend!

Heath and I went up to Michigan last weekend for Easter and a variety of other activities. It was so much fun to spend time with my sister and Ron and my little niece and nephew. We each left work around noon on Friday so we wouldn't have as much traffic and so we could spend some time with the kiddos before they went to bed. On the way up, we stopped to get a few bottles of wine for Mindy and Ron as a pre-Thank you gift for taking our engagement pictures.

We got to Hudsonville around 6pm and chatted for a bit. We got some takeout dinner and played with Lucy and Henry for a little while before cracking open one of the bottles of wine and visiting with Mindy and Ron until bedtime.

Saturday was busy busy! We got up and headed over to order Mindy's bridesmaid dress, which looks great on her and will be super pretty down on the beach. Then we headed over to Blue Water Grill for a lunch wedding shower... for me! It was really wonderful. The food and atmosphere were just right and everybody seemed to have a great time.

After the shower, we went back to my mom and dad's house, where I tried on my wedding dress for my mom and Mindy. They both really liked it and thought it was perfect for the beach. (One of the must haves for the dress was that it can travel relatively easily, and it definitely does. I'll probably just need to have it lightly steamed once we get down there.)

Ron and Heath brought the kids over shortly after that and us grownups headed out to downtown Grand Rapids so Mindy could take some engagement pictures. We had a lot of fun, even though it was a little chilly. She's still going through the gazillion pictures she took, but posted a handful proofs for us so far, including this one that she posted on her photo blog (it's one of my favorites so far!).

She's amazingly talented; I'm so excited to see the rest of the proofs! The session was a huge success, except for me getting a big rip in my jeans at the first location (errant nail sticking out of a window board! Oops!) After a couple hours, we headed back to our parents' and had dinner together.

Sunday was just as busy with Easter stuff all day. Lucy took a faceplant in the backyard going after an Easter egg (video coming soon!), but was okay. We went over to the grandparents' house to celebrate Easter and my Grandma Myrt's 80th birthday. Lots of family picture posted on various smugmug sites. My grandma is awesome. She's always (and I mean always!) positive, loving, and generous (we grandkids could do no wrong. ever.). I am unbelievably lucky to have such a stable and consistent positive influence in my life. And, she sure doesn't act like she's 80! She even surprised us all yesterday with the FIRST AND ONLY sex-related joke any of us had ever heard her make! Hilarious! She's one of a kind and I'm so glad we got to visit and spend time with her on such a momentous birthday!

Overall, a great weekend. It was really tough to come back to this icky weather (30 degrees and rainy!) and get back to work after such a nice time!