Monday, July 30, 2007

my left foot

yesterday, heath was planning on going fishing with a friend of his. due to some last minute switching, i ended up going along with them. i haven't been fishing in awhile, so it was a lot of fun to go out there. i borrowed heath's 2nd rod and reel and his other fishing stuff, but i want to definitely get some of my own for future ventures. we got a much later start than anticipated, so it was too late to rent a boat. as a result, we did some shore fishing, but the lake was really busy where we were at (near a main launch). mark and heath had a couple of bites, but i had nothing. even though we had no luck, it was still a good time to just get outside and have a break from the usual stuff.

the highlight of the afternoon was when i miscast (whoops) and my line went over a giant log sticking out of the water up the shoreline by where heath and mark were standing. being the smart girl that i am, i walked up the shore that way rather than reeling it up into the log. being not that smart of a girl, i failed to see the big mucky hole between me and them. in went my left foot.

up. to. my. knee. ew.

so i yanked my leg back up out of it, but my adorable mary jane croc was no longer on my foot. crap. since i was only able to deal with one disaster at a time, i gave my pole to heath, who, rightly, found this very amusing. then, i had to work up the nerve to reach down into the shoe-eating muckhole (up to my elbow! ew!) to try to fish my croc out. to add to the fun, heath kept reminding me that whatever was in there was probably gone by now. thanks.

i managed to feel around and find the back strap of the croc and yank it out. it was completely coated with and filled with sludge. thankfully they are all rubbery and stuff, so i was able to just rinse it off in the lake water. but, overall, ew.

oh, and the line didn't end up getting tangled. heath had it all reeled in by the time i retrieved my muck shoe.

we'll probably go fishing again soon, maybe out by heath's parents' where his boat is (yeah, you read that right, my boyfriend has a boat. jealous? :P), or back up to where we were yesterday and just rent a boat. next time, i'll be more careful where i step.