Thursday, December 06, 2007

dang ding

so, i went out this morning to brush the snow off my car, and much to my surprise, the vw emblem on the front grille was askew. i tapped it and it popped out. evidently one of the clips in the grille that holds the emblem in place snapped. no idea how. so now it looks super dumb. i called the dealership to find out the cost of a replacement. i knew it would be higher than i wanted to hear, but they said it would be $190 just for the part. now, keep in mind that this is only for the grille insert, not the whole front end or for the emblem or anything. it's about 18" long and 6" high plastic. highway. robbery. i didn't even bother getting a service quote. i'll end up trying to find a replacement online or something and do it myself (which actually means with heath's help). i've already solicited my brother in law's help in finding a replacement. the biggest challenge will likely be the color. the part only comes in black or primer grey, so it wouldn't match the green of my car. i'll have to weigh my options and cost when it comes to that situation.

it got me thinking, though, that it is just crazy to charge that much for a piece of plastic. even if i did have a ton of money to blow, i wouldn't pay that. i feel bad for people who have no knowhow or resources and have to go through a body shop or the dealership. thank goodness i have people to help me with this. if you find anything for me online, let me know. it's a 2004 vw jetta. maybe i'll get some sort of pimp chrome one. teehee.


Powered by ScribeFire.