Friday, December 21, 2007

fear

so i was talking to my boss about likely trying snowboarding next week. she had tried it once and was telling me about it. meanwhile the president of the company walks by and tells us about his experiences with it (tried it for 3 days in vail). he encouraged me to pad my tailbone (he ended super bruised by the end of the trip) and not use my wrists to break a forward fall... things i already had an idea about, but that were even more solidified after talking to him. then he tells us about a girl that was on the trip with them. she had just gotten strapped into her board, first day of a five day trip, first thing in the morning, not even gone up on the chairlift yet, had wristguards with her but hadn't yet put them on. she fell forward and... broke both wrists. both. wrists. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! i'm sure i'll do alright and hopefully won't end up with anything broken, but there is a chance. add to that the fact that it's easier to snowboard in powder and there certainly will not be powder where we're going (chestnut mountain in galena), and i'm definitely staring down a challenge. i'll be bringing my insurance card with me for sure.


Powered by ScribeFire.